Celebrating National Surveyors Week!
The New York State Senate has passed a resolution proclaiming March 20 – 26 to be National Land Surveyors Week
The resolution highlights some important facts about this profession:
- There are more than 1,500 professional land surveyors in NYS, and more than 45,000 professional land surveyors nationwide.
- Past US Presidents who served as land surveyors include: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and Abraham Lincoln.
- The nature of surveying has developed since the Colonial Era to include hydrographic surveys, engineering surveys utilized in the study and selection of engineering construction, geodetic surveys to determine the precise global positioning for activities such as aircraft and missile navigation, and cartographic surveys used for mapping and charting.
- The surveying profession in New York requires special education and experience, training, the knowledge of applied mathematics, other technical and research skills, and passage of both a national and state-specific examination.
- The role of the professional surveyor has been, and continues to be, integral in the development and advancement of our State and Nation.
Have you hugged your Surveyor lately?